Friday, May 22, 2009

How much should I spend on a corkscrew?

I was recently ask if it was worth spending the money to get a Laguiole corkscrew versus a less expensive one. The Michelangelo is a large corkscrew 5.75 inches long and heavier than most corkscrews. I like the larger size of the Michelangelo, some people prefer the smaller (normal size). It comes in a natural wood box.
Laguiole is the Mercedes of corkscrews which sets the standards but it is pricey. You can't go wrong with a high end corkscrew like Laguiole if it's in your budget however, I think you would be pleasantly surprised with the quality of the Michelangelo corkscrew. With the cost savings in buying a Michelangelo you can afford to buy some other wine accessory like the Vinturi Wine Aerator and still end up spending less than the cost of a Laguiole.
Personally, in my wine cellar I use the Michelangelo corkscrew and I keep it displayed in the wood box which sits next to my wine aerator.

We carry a large selection of corkscrews which should satisfy anyones needs.

Any opinions on this topic?

1 comment:

John said...

I have to agree with you. I would like to buy a Laquiole corkscrew but it is a little(lot) out of my price range. I checked out your site and have to say you have quite the selection. Thanks for the suggestion.